These things take time. To see how they get from start to finish is part of the fun. Just looking to place in top 100 somewhere. although 1st-3rd would be nice.......
this contest entry is being brought to you by the letter G. Sponsored by the collaborative efforts of:
we have done some stuff in the past so i think the aim for this one is.....well...epic. Given the short amount of time to work on this, we will see how close we get to that.
this will be a 3 part walk-through starting with
Up next we have "the bad" [link]
And finally we have "The UGLY" [link]
2nd finished edition is up. [link]
Good luck to all!
A big THANK YOU to all who fav this!
Because my entry features a lot of original art, I've been getting alot of questions about if we are suppose to be using original art in our entry or if we are suppose to be using the packet art and creating an entry with Epic's stock. Many people are, and apparently there has been some "lack of clarity" in the rules description. Now i'm not running this contest, so I could be wrong.....but here is my take whats going on:
lol, the thought of putting effort into something and its not even what was asked for is mind-numbing to a contestant. I had to poke through at the set up for this myself and have come to this understanding:
The nature of the contest is to do 2 things
1. use as a marketing outlet to promote the game and increase franchise fan-base / sales. (Think about, why would they have 100 prizes eligible to receive a copy of the game, when is the last time you saw a DA contest set up like this.)
2. Increase the resources available to provide artwork for the franchise. As a professional Graphic designer there are a few aspects about this that I am aware of:
When branding a franchise A uniformed look or feel is usually adopted to keep consistency with branding recognition. If branding is “all over the place” the lack of uniformity makes it more difficult for identification association. The people at epic Know this, which is why they: set the rules to include certain elements in the entry, require certain things aren’t present so they can add them later as they see fit, and provided reference materials for contestants to go by. They chose DA as their Hunting ground for artist because it is the biggest and best place to recruit an artist in the world. The overall is that they are looking for something that fits in with what they are already doing and someone who can do that. Unsure of if they can find someone & thing that can accomplish that, Epic included a “reference material packet” as a safety net that assist entries with sticking close to their branding. People of course took the pack and rules, as a literal translation of use this stuff to make your entry.
What a lot of contestants, under that impression so far, are not thinking about is the 2 reasons why they are having this contest in the first place. The artist at epic that created all of the stuff we are referencing are perfectly capable of building a screensaver with the artwork that they already created themselves (Common sense). Although seeing what people can do with the artwork is interesting and amusingly hilarious at times, It’s not worth the ballpark 70k they are sinking into having this contest in the first place. Attaining Goal 1 and 2 however, is worth it. (And yes, I'm aware that their are going to be some entries awesome enough to be an exception to that)
With all this in mind, the best bet on an entry is to provide original art that does the following:
1. falls in line with the current art used or is visually stunning enough to market the game (keep in mind Epic has this game up in more than one media outlet, comics for example).
2. Provide elements that are currently part of the franchise; weapons, game locations, characters, iconic aspects of the series, ect.
3. Provides a feeling associated with the game since this entry is going directly on the game counsel platform.
4. Uses but treats stock art as a complement to the created entry instead of the focus.
4. And finally, Just looks overall awesome!
Hope this answers your (and many other peoples) question!
Thanks for stopping in to chat and good luck to all on the contest.